Twist-outs are a go-to hairstyle for many natural, relaxed and transitioning ladies. The style is so versatile and helps any head of hair achieve the perfect curl. But for those who may not be as familiar with this style, a twist out is simply twisting your hair in individual two-strand twists, allowing it to take shape and unraveling to reveal the curl pattern.
Want to know how to achieve a great twist-out? What you’ll need is freshly washed and detangled hair, a wide-tooth comb, a spray bottle filled with water, your choice of hair creme (moisturizer, curling creme, souffle, Shea mixture, etc), and a moisturizing oil, like coconut oil, olive, or almond!
- Separate hair in four large sections.
- Part a medium size section of hair to begin the twisting process (the bigger the twist, the looser the curl, the smaller the twist, the tighter the curl)
- Spray with water and run a wide-tooth comb through the section.
- Coat the hair with a leave in conditioner, styler, cream. You can click here to see a list of DIY: Recipes for Organic and Natural hair stylers, butters, and curl creme’s.
- Seal that piece with a oil. Coconut, Olive, or Almond.
- Divide the medium section of hair into two and begin twisting, twirling the end around your finger
- Repeat until whole head is complete and cover with satin scarf
In the morning, simply apply a little Oil or shine gloss to your finger tips and unravel each twist. Viola! You have a twist-out. For looser curls, you can try a braid-out, following the same steps above, except braiding the hair instead of twisting it.